Develpopment with DragonBoard.

Go down

Develpopment with DragonBoard.

Post  ljking on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Dear All:

It was good to meet you yesterday (Jan 13th) and see what you are working on.
I am an employee of Qualcomm and I will do my best to help you outwith attaching
the DragonBoard to your system, and getting useful data out of it.

First a little complaint about the Forum, currently the editing box shows up with
a white background on my screen (the overall forum is black background), unfortunately
when I enter text it is also white text (on a white background) so it is a little hard
to read and edit. I tried it with both Chrome and Internet explorer so I suspect it is
something the moderator needs to set up. What Am I doing wrong?

The first thing that should be done is to reload the boards you have with Android operating
system. To do this you need to go through several steps.
1) log into www.inforcecomputing.com Techweb and create an account. You will need the
serial number from one of your boards to create an account.
2) From the Techweb under Tech Docs you will find an Application Note called "SYS644X AND
IFC641X AppNote Recovery of bricked boards using SD Card Rev B". This doc gives detailed
instruction on how to load Android onto the board. Unfortunately you will need a PC or
laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 in order to create the SD card.
3) Step 4 of the instructions says "To confirm, type 'fastboot devices' on terminal
after connecting board to PC via micro USB, device should be detected." This step assumes
that you have successfully installed the Qualcomm USB drivers on yor PC, the details of
how to do this is burried in the document "IFC6410 AppNote Installing USB driver in Windows
Rev A".
4) once you have this done, you will also have the Android development tools installed on
your PC and you should be in good shape to start development.

On-to Development:

Start by reading the tutorials at p2z2systems.wordpress.com this show you how to connect to
a camera . The recommended camera is a "Creative Live Cam",
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7414935&CatId=6911
The tutorials seem to be quite good, if you can reproduce the line-following code you will
be in good shape for further development.

Another place to look is www.acanadianengineer.com although the web site seems to be stuck
this morning.

Another good toolkit (which will run on the DragonBoard) is www.vuforia.com. Vuforia provides
object recognition (examples: totes, garbage cans, and pool noodles). You should be able to use
cylinders (the garbage can), and boxes (the totes). Pool noodles will be more difficult. Download
the SDK.

My personal expertise is not software development, I am a hardware developer, so the best I can
do is point you to good tools, it is up to you to get it to work.

-L

ljking

http://mydragonbaord.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Develpopment with DragonBoard.

Post  Sam Hassall on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi lawrence, yeah the forum is iffy at times. To fix the disappearing text, just click on the white page button at the far right of the editor screen ("switch editor mode"). Your text should now show up.
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

Post  ljking on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:00 pm

That works. Thanks.

ljking

Back to top Go down

Changing from Liunx to Android

Post  ljking on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:12 pm

This morning I tested reloading the DragonBoard and I have another set of directions for you, probably easier. I think this will work, if you have problems let me know.

1) Download software files from the InForce Computing web site.
   I saved all of the files in the directory "C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce"
1a) Download the Board Support Package "Inforce IFC6410 Android BSP Rel V 3.0 " (700MB)
1b) Download the file "gpt both0.bin V 1.0" (1.81kB)
1c) Download the file "SD Card Boot V1.0" (1.07GB)
2) Download the documentation from the InForce Techweb site.
2a) Download the manual "IFC6410 User Guide Rev E" (2.89MB)
2b) Download the manual "IFC6410 Android Programming Guide Rev D" (428kB)
2c) Downlaod the manual "SYS644X AND IFC641X AppNote Recovery of bricked boards using SD Card Rev B" (623kB)
3) Extract Files
3a) extract Inforce-IFC641-_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0.zip
3b) inside C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Flash_Utility
   extract IFC6410_SYS644XX_FlashUtilityTool_880188.zip
3c) inside C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0
   extract the file IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0.zip (some of the paths will be too long, ignore these errors).
4) Setup the USB device drivers
4a) plug in the IFC6410 to a USB cable and power it up. When Windows asks for device drivers direct it to:
   C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\usb_driver
4d) start Windows Control Panel -> Device Manager, if all went well there should be no unidentified devices and you should see
    "Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9025 (COM11)" under Ports (COM & LPT).
5) setup the Flashing Tool.
5a) read the flashing directions, Section 2.2 of "SYS644X&IFC641X_Flashing utility User Guide_001988_Rev B.pdf" in the directory
    C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Flash_Utility
5b) run setup.exe in the directory
    C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Flash_Utility\IFC6410_SYS644XX_FlashUtiltyTool_880186_Ver1.0\IFC6410_SYS644XX_FlashUtiltyTool_880186_Ver1.0
6) run the Flashing Tool
6a) read the directions in Section 2.3 of "SYS644X&IFC641X_Flashing utility User Guide_001988_Rev B.pdf" in the directory
    C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Flash_Utility
6b) run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Inforce Computing\FlashingUtility\FlashingUtility.exe"
6c) connect the IFC6410 to the USB Port, the Flashing Utility should find the device
6d) click "Flash Device Software"
6e) browse to the directory
    and select the zip file IFC6410_Upgrade_4.4_880235_Ver1.0.zip (do not try to unzip this file)
    installation will take a few minutes and should indicate success at the end.
6f) the IFC6410 will reboot (very first boot takes much longer than normal) and will be running Android.
7) Program the MAC addressed for your Ethernet and WiFi ports. the default build uses a 'generic' MAC address for the
   board, if you have multiple boards connected to your network all will have the same MAC address and cause routing issues.
   The MAC addresses assigned to each board is printed on a sticker on the boiard and must be loaded into the board.
7a) from the Android console start the Settings program
7b) turn on both Bluetooth and WiFi
7c) go to about phone -> Status and look at the MAC addresses. They should match the stickers on the board. If
    they do not match then follow the instructions on Page 10 or IFC6410_ReleaseNotes-002149_Rev_a.pdf in the directory
    C:\Users\lking\Downloads\InForce\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0\Inforce-IFC6410_AndroidBSP_880233_Relv3.0

ljking

Back to top Go down

Post  ljking on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:42 pm

I missed one little hint in the programming the MAC address step above. You need to use a binary editor to change "softmac.bin". I used vim which is from gvim.org, and the instructions for editing binary files with VIM are here: http://www.mydragonboard.org/2013/updating-ifc6410-software/ . Since I wrote the article the ways that the MAC addresses are stored have changes, so use the instruction from InForce, just read the section about editing a binary file (softmac.bin) with a MAC address in it.

ljking

Back to top Go down

Post  William Surmak on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Lawrence,

I've followed your steps up to plugging in the dragonbaord. The light came on for the usb cable being plugged in on the board along with the lights signalling the board was being powered. There was no installing device driver or popup asking me where the device drivers are located. Any ideas?
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

Post  ljking on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 pm

A couple of questions:
  1) are the lights on the board flashing, or on solid? If they are solid this is good, if they are flashing you need to provide DC power, the power available for the USB connector is not enough to run the board. (they flash because the board starts to boot, runs out of power, shuts down, and tries again. failing over and over).
  2) you should be using a micro-USB cable connected to the connector to the left of the green/pink audio connectors.
  3) when you connect the display to the micro-HDMI port does it come up?

ljking

Back to top Go down

Post  ljking on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:03 pm

I just realized my instructions were not completely clear:
     4a) plug in the IFC6410 to a USB cable and power it up.
instead of "and power it up" I really should have said: ", plug in the AC-DC power adapter to a wall outlet and connect the 5V barrel connector to the board".

ljking

Back to top Go down

Post  William Surmak on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:03 am

Yes I did plug in the power adapter and the USB cable the first time, one LED came on when I plugged the USB in and then a bunch of other ones came on when I plugged the power in (so I assume it worked). Is it necessary to hook up the display though? From all the other micro controllers I've worked with all you need is a USB cable to compile the code from the computer to the board.
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

Post  ljking on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:13 am

The board should come up without a display. Attach power and USB, give it 60 seconds, then take a look in
start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT)
and see if there is a device there.
This isn't a simple micro-controller, power from USB alone isn't enough to bring it up (micro-controllers don't have 2GB of memory)

ljking

Back to top Go down

Post  William Surmak on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Sorry I've been MIA for a little while I had to study up for exams. I still have yet to get the board working. Maybe I just suck at plugging things in? 

USB = Plugged in

Power = Plugged in

Device Manger = Nothing
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum