Sinclair Sprockets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing Belts or Chain for drive power

2 posters

Go down

Timing Belts or Chain for drive power Empty Timing Belts or Chain for drive power

Post  Ben_A Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 am

For those of you who are interested in the mechanical components of the robot. I have found an interesting whitepaper (engineering report) about the benefits of using timing belts over using chain for drive mechanisms in FIRST FRC robots. I have found this information interesting. I would like us to consider using belts as our drive mechanism. Please let me know what you think. I have posed a link to the report below.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2216

Also, I have been working on a design of a drive platform that we can hopefully use for years and many, many robots. No sense in re-inventing the wheel every season. My hope is that this deign can be easily and quickly fabricated by the students; allowing us to concentrate on the uniqueness of the game. Like the kitbot on steroids, but better! See you all on Saturday!

-Ben

Ben_A

Back to top Go down

Timing Belts or Chain for drive power Empty Re: Timing Belts or Chain for drive power

Post  sebastianf Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:36 am

my favourite part about chain is the flexible sizing that comes with it, with belts its tough to change belts lengths if changes need to be made. I'm totally for trying out new things and the pros listed here seem sweet but I'd prefer using them only when we know its final. Say we put a gearbox and belt it all up and then we find out the gearbox has to be moved slightly then the belt system becomes a pain. So what I'm saying if we do want to use belts it becomes even more crucial the pre-design and prototyping aspect since changes then become hard as diamonds to do on the robot
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down