Sinclair Sprockets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 Robot improvement proposals

+2
hayden
kenneth
6 posters

Go down

2012 Robot improvement proposals  Empty 2012 Robot improvement proposals

Post  kenneth Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Whether you believe the robot element you have found or imagined is adaptable to our robot or not, post it for discussion.
First post:
Several good teams had a mechanism to assist in quick bridge balancing, commonly referred to as a stinger. They were either air rams that hit the floor, 1114 and 2056, while balancing or mechanical linkages, 33 @ 2mins.
examples can be found below:
2012 Robot improvement proposals  Stl-120428-140415
kenneth
kenneth

Back to top Go down

2012 Robot improvement proposals  Empty 2012 Robot improvement proposals

Post  hayden Sun May 13, 2012 6:33 pm

I have noticed that our robot wobbles a fair bit when it comes to a sudden stop. I don't know if this affects any part of the robots ability to function but is it possible to move one of the gear boxes to the other side of the robot, or add a little weight to the other side in order stabilize the robot. Is it possible that if the robot is more evenly balanced that it may be easier to balance on the bridge? Is it also possible that this may improve the robots ability to turn quickly and maneuver better on the playing field? I noticed that teams like 2056 and 1114 both had robots that were lower to the ground and they both seemed to have a well centered and low center of gravity.

hayden

Back to top Go down

2012 Robot improvement proposals  Empty Rotating Turret Shooter

Post  StuartSullivan Mon May 14, 2012 12:15 am

A rotating turret shooter would be a good idea to help with our issues aiming at the baskets. If the camera was mounted on the turret itself the driver could judge if the shooter is aliened. We say the many teams used the rotating turret and they we quick to aim and shoot because they didn't need to turn the entire robot only the turret.

StuartSullivan

Back to top Go down

2012 Robot improvement proposals  Empty Re: 2012 Robot improvement proposals

Post  Adnaan Peshimam Mon May 14, 2012 6:25 pm

1114 and 2056's turrets worked well because they were low to the ground; having a rotating turret up high would make the robot top-heavy.
-> to use a turret, we need it to be mounted lower to the ground
-> we need more power for the shooter and/or increasing the angle to get enough height to reach the top nets
-> if we increase the angle we need to drive to the base of the nets
-> we need to be stupid fast at getting over the bridge/bump
This is the chain of thought I had when considering the use of a turret

Just something to think about
Adnaan Peshimam
Adnaan Peshimam

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Matys Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 pm

It's code.

No seriously, I'm hoping we can code the robot to aim from the key (whether we go with a turret or simply have the robot turn itself) and make 90% of our shots from the key. Our accuracy can be improved upon and fender shooting can be defended by the opposing alliance.

As well, if we DO decide to attend an off-season competition, let's put our bridge manipulator on one of the 38 inch sides of the robot. That way we can tip the bridge and drive on as a wide bot, making it easier to pull off a triple balance if necessary. Also, if we were to drive on second in a triple balance, we could lower our arm into another robot, similarly to how 4307 did with us at UOIT.
Matt Matys
Matt Matys

Back to top Go down

Post  William Surmak Mon May 21, 2012 11:15 pm

I agree with Hayden, We have an very aggressive drive system but we we cannot take full advantage of it due to how wobbly or robot is. I propose we add or remove weight in places on the robot to make the robot more stable in order to be able to take full advantage of our drive system.
William Surmak
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down