Sinclair Sprockets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Website

+4
Jane Elizabeth
Chris CHoi
William Surmak
sebastianf
8 posters

Go down

Team Website Empty Team Website

Post  sebastianf Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Im looking for people to go to our website and tell me what should  be changed about it. Tell me what you do not like and what you think is neccesary to be changed for a more appealing website (http//:www.sinclairsprockets.org). Any ideas for improvement are good ones.

Im also looking for someone to partner with me making the website, i need someone with photoshop skills, if you dont thats okay, i guess i could teach you but i need someone to help me making images for the website. A bonus would be if you know html too Wink
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Team Website Empty Re: Team Website

Post  William Surmak Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:28 pm

The website looks awesome! Smile A few suggestions though:
1. We need an updated team list and pictures
2. Maybe a separate section which displays pictures of each years robot and some key features of each

Also, it may be just Google chrome but the link doesn't work. If anyone else has this problem just search sinclair sprockets and navigate to the website. Look for sinclairsprockets.org (don't go to sinclairsprockets.com; it's a website all in japanese).
William Surmak
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris CHoi Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 pm

When I was on the team, I shot and made some videos which we can update the media tab with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw27d6BdORM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_WJR3rf3z8

I also think we should make the website look more professional my minimizing the flashy things and making it look more "mature" (business like?)

Update everything, and if you would like photographs I took of the 2011 and 2012 robots, I can send them to you.

Chris CHoi

Back to top Go down

Post  sebastianf Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 pm

no sorry thats my mistake its that i forgot to put a space inbetween the website link and the closing bracket on the link so the browser thinks its part of the link
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  sebastianf Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:55 pm

id love to have the photos to update the website chris, you can send them to sinclairsprockets@gmail.com or if you could get me a usb with the photos on it somehow
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris CHoi Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:13 am

There are also videos from the 2011 off season, Ill try my best to upload them all to youtube where you can link them. I am not sure when I will be able to do this, but will contact you when I do.

Chris CHoi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Elizabeth Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Sebastian, I have many photos posted of all 2011 competitions on fb. Friend me at 'Jane Elizabeth' and you can pick a good representation of the 2011-2012 team. I'll be taking pix of the NJ/NYC competition as well, so any photos of our current 2012-2013 team will be posted and available there as soon as we're back. Alternatively, I can load some appropriate ones of 2011-12 onto a usb, let me know if that's your preference.
Jane Elizabeth
Jane Elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Elizabeth Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:21 am

I agree with Chris, I would prefer the site to look more mature and businesslike. For instance, I find the waving flags and scrolling pix on the home page to be distracting to the message...nice clean pages with less obstructive graphics would be easier on the eye and focus more on the message.

I would delete the cheers from the Team page. They have an immature look to them when in print, even though they're awesome in the stands!

And while you're swapping out some of the old pix for new, is it possible to change the way the pix are viewed? Although I appreciate the effort to make the team photo page creative and interesting, I find the pages-in-a-book setup a little contrived, and would prefer the thumbnails to be easier to see than a little slice of the photo.

The Advice section is excellent, and I like the way it shows how the team has evolved in its approach.

Also agree that a section detailing past years' robots and challenges would be helpful.

And just as a suggestion... If no one from the team is able to help you with the site, there may be some graphic arts or photography students at Sinclair experienced in photoshop who would be very interested in working on this kind of project, if not from a robotics point of view then definitely from a graphic presentation point of view?

Jane Elizabeth
Jane Elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Team Website Empty Colours

Post  Adnaan Peshimam Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Don't get me wrong, the orange and black colour scheme is awesome in the stands and in the pits Very Happy
But on the website, I feel its too strong a colour scheme, and it does take a toll on your eyes after a while Neutral

My suggestion would be mainly to dilute the orange because in my opinion its too bright and distracts from the actual content
Also I think it would look more mature if we made the black more gray, but leave the text black

This is all out of my head and I think it would look good but it may not look as good in person as it did in my head
Adnaan Peshimam
Adnaan Peshimam

Back to top Go down

Post  sebastianf Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Adnaan i thought i was the only one that felt claustrophobic on the site! trying to concentrate on a black window with bright orange all around it was tough for me. Anyways, for now im trying it out with a black color scheme in the background with only text boxes having the Sinclair sprocket orange colour.

To mrs.Elizabeth I've added you as a friend for the photos, at the moment im making subtle changes here and there but I agree with everything you've said and i will get onto changing the viewing galleries and those kid-like aspects of the website to make it more professional very soon
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Elizabeth Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm

ok, just grab the pix you want. They're pretty well organized and dated.

I'll put my vote in for saving the eyes with less orange, too

And everyone on the team should just call me Jane Smile
Jane Elizabeth
Jane Elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Krysta Traianovski Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 pm

If you really just need some photoshop-ing "manpower", I would be happy to do the job as I have been playing with it a lot at work Razz

Although it is preferable if someone on the team does it so they can learn *cough*.

Here's something cool I found on the Adobe website while I was at work today:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7417a.html

Cool way to make lots of things that look the same Very Happy
Krysta Traianovski
Krysta Traianovski

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Deen Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Is there anything you can do to make the font slightly more appealing? It reminds me of a bad powerpoint. I'm interested to see how the site turns over.
Maya Deen
Maya Deen

Back to top Go down

Team Website Empty Website Updates for 2014-2015 Season

Post  Jane Elizabeth Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:13 am

The Sprockets website is currently dormant. I'm working on updating it to have up and current for September. Past team members have done a great job with the website (most recently Sebastian), but the photos and most recent team activities need to be added before reposting the site.

We're looking for a student to take over the website management in September! I'm able to mentor the student, however ideally the Sprockets website should be student-run and maintained.

This student would require interest (but not necessarily experience!) in design, communications, marketing, and should be a strong writer. Reliable, regular commitment to website maintenance is mandatory. The student must be a Sprockets team member, any grade level, with FIRST experience an asset - so a current team member would be great, although if you know of any students not on the team who would like to join and be part of the Communications/Marketing sub team of the Sprockets, please encourage them to join the team in September!

Any interested students please reply below.
Jane Elizabeth
Jane Elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Hu Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:55 pm

I can help out on the website with any Photoshop that needs to be done.

Ben Hu

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Elizabeth Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks, Ben; that would be great! We're just waiting to see if the school will host the site and then it'll be up and running.
Jane Elizabeth
Jane Elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down