Sinclair Sprockets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY!

+3
Ben_A
kenneth
Sam Hassall
7 posters

Go down

CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY! Empty CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY!

Post  Sam Hassall Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:34 pm

So yeah, basically my build team put the catapult further up into the robot so that it has more empty space inside. Works perfectly, gives the robot a little cradle to sit in, and allows for expandable backs and sides for catching, a simple addition we have been discussing.

Video is up in the main folder on the dropbox, titled "FrontEndCatapultIsOP"

I see no reason why we couldn't just motor drive this with some CIM's and a gearbox using the drivetrain style developed by Ri3D this year. basically a finished prototype allowing for our previous ideas to be implement with extreme prejudic- I MEAN effectiveness. Case closed.
Sam Hassall
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY! Empty Re: CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY!

Post  kenneth Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 pm

so something like this?
CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY! Img_2010
kenneth
kenneth

Back to top Go down

CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY! Empty Re: CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY!

Post  Ben_A Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Pleas keep in mind that a "hand powered" design is just one step. The next step is to get it working under its own power. What may be easy by hand could be very difficult for a motor, surgical tubing or air rams.

- Ben

Ben_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Hassall Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 pm

Exactly. But it really was just a tiny bit of force to move that catapult- I know the force and torque the CIM's can put out, and with some good gearing down, I think it could send that thing absolutely flying. Ri3D did it with two CIM motors, I think we could mount some older CIM's onto the prototyping frame without too much difficulty, wire them up to a Talon, and see what we can run. I will probably go in this weekend at some time, we should be able to get a proto up and running by tuesday.
Sam Hassall
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Hassall Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 am

The lever was 1:1 as well
Sam Hassall
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY! Empty video missing

Post  chefjohn Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:25 am

I can't see the video in drop box
chefjohn
chefjohn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Hassall Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:33 am

It's right in the opening file, no sub-files

I can see it just fine
Sam Hassall
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben_A Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:20 pm

What did we get done today? Is the motor driven shooter working?

- Ben

Ben_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Hassall Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Camera code is done, Will and I debugged and fixed it. motor driven shooter is set up but we were missing the right chain half-link so the chain slipped and it was unusable.
Sam Hassall
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

Post  Riley McCarthy-Robertson Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:49 pm

The chain was fixed this morning.  We got the arm to move up slightly but the drive shaft was slipping and being torn apart from the set screw.  I was able to fit a key into a new shaft, and Adnaan is working on it on his shift.  But it is going to work as far as I can tell.
Riley McCarthy-Robertson
Riley McCarthy-Robertson

Back to top Go down

Post  Adnaan Peshimam Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:50 pm

assuming that the sprocket riley gave to me after keying it to the shaft is the same as you guys were using all morning, i found the problem:
it was a #35 sprocket, while the chain and sprocket on the catapault were #25

so we replaced with a number #25 sprocket, remounted the gearbox because its current position made the chain too tight to get on both sprockets (i dont mean it was hard getting it onto both, i mean the chain physically could not be on both at the same time, just to clarify) and ran it a couple times, but 1:1 was just impossible

replaced the sprocket on the catapault with a much larger one (i feel like a doofus now b/c i forgot to note what the new ratio was, sorry guys >_<), so will (not coder will, other will) set to painstakingly making a new length of chain for the bigger sprocket, and then it worked! sort of...
 the catapault moved with a nice speed, and looked promising, but under the weight of the ball the chain popped off due to alignment problems with the sprockets....unfortunately this was 5 mins to the end of the shift so we didnt have the time to work out spacers to hold the sprockets in place
(for anyone wondering why thats the state we were in by the end of the shift, 1) things needing to be put back on (some were errors by my shift, so due to limitations with the frame and old pieces were using) and ,( Mr MacKinnon will address the other issues on Tuesday with the whole team at our weekly regular must attend meeting.Razz)
Adnaan Peshimam
Adnaan Peshimam

Back to top Go down

Post  William Surmak Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 pm

If motor driven isn't working out this, this team used pneumatics and seems to be getting decent distance. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRmHqCGYnwI
this team too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDuA0Ed2JmU&feature=youtu.be
William Surmak
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

CATAPULT PERCECTION ACHIEVED! CULTURAL VICTORY! Empty Fianlly thank you

Post  chefjohn Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13 pm

This forum is set for idea sharing, talking about design ideas, figuring things out. Thank you for sharing, more members should follow your lead, HINT HINT!
chefjohn
chefjohn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down