Sinclair Sprockets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OFFICIAL DAY 2 ROBOT DESIGN THREAD

+3
ErikNikiforuk
sebastianf
kenneth
7 posters

Go down

OFFICIAL DAY 2 ROBOT DESIGN THREAD Empty OFFICIAL DAY 2 ROBOT DESIGN THREAD

Post  kenneth Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 am

Alright, new thread Very Happy

A general idea that came up yesterday was using a flashlight (ie HIDs to blind everyone) to show the path of the ball when passing.

Also, I didn't read the field section of the manual very well, and there are vision targets around the low goals as per this video:

The horizontal vision targets change depending on the goal is hot or not, which might be more reliable than using the light intensity around the goal as discussed yesterday.
kenneth
kenneth

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL DAY 2 ROBOT DESIGN THREAD Empty Re: OFFICIAL DAY 2 ROBOT DESIGN THREAD

Post  sebastianf Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:06 pm

hey guys im so so sorry about today but i think that the cube prototype that we made today wont work because no matter what "punching" mechanism we use were outside the dimensions and our robot will not pass the test, the ball on our robot basically takes up the entire 112 inch perimeter space we can use so im guessing shooting is going to be done from below using catapulting methods

i guess this means the bed method with the side pieces to catch??? aka the design inspired by team 16
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  sebastianf Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 pm

also because of the change in the way that we shoot the ball i think tank will work better now for this method because of the sturdier nature of plaction wheels

please tell me what you think
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikNikiforuk Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:45 pm

How about tomorrow the teams working will make a prototype of the catapulting bed with the roller thing that brings it in, althought not too sure that will do much in terms of how to build it, but possibly help a bit? 

The thing is with that "bed" design, when the ball lands, it will put a lot of stress onto it, so we should have some padding or whatever, but nevermind, we'll think about that when the time comes.

you said tank drive will help, i disagree. because if we use the holynomic or whatever its called to drive, it will be easier to swing the robot around to catch it, better accuracy since the ball needs to land in a certain place. If the other team throws it to us, but its a bit to the right, the robot cannot go to it if it is in tank. for maneuvering and speed, The Hollynomic would be the best bet, I think.
ErikNikiforuk
ErikNikiforuk

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikNikiforuk Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Sebastian you're gonna cringe, but even tank with the omni wheel would work better than just tank, make it a triangle if we have to.
ErikNikiforuk
ErikNikiforuk

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikNikiforuk Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 pm

But with the bed idea, you cannot dump it to the other robot or into the box only throwing, unless the base can go slow instead of just boosting it up
ErikNikiforuk
ErikNikiforuk

Back to top Go down

Post  sebastianf Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:59 pm

and yes thats right but the winch is below the ball there is  a rotating thing to suck balls in or push them out similar to what ben posted that well also have for that
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Hassall Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 pm

yeah I started having my doubts regarding the cube the second I saw it. it's just too big, and with aluminum it will be very heavy.

I think we're gonna have to start taking a look at the bed design. However, I still think that a pneumatic puncher is the way to go. Ri3D was using a pneumatic catapult, but I seriously think that a short stroke pneumatic puncher will be able to give us the power needed to send this thing flying. When I was punching it across the room to riley, we both agreed that it did not take very much force at all to send it going.

I think the bed is the clear winner at this point.
Sam Hassall
Sam Hassall

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikNikiforuk Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm

If we have our alliance already I think that would help, we could ask them what they may do to possess the ball, because it may cause limitations to how we do it, because if they are 3 feet off the ground or so, we'll be unable to hand it to them. so if the surface launching the ball had the option to just go slowly to let it out higher though, it could benefit us and the team. may be thinking to complex, but I'm thinking about what can help.

I will watch those videos now.
ErikNikiforuk
ErikNikiforuk

Back to top Go down

Post  William Surmak Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Can someone explain the bed design to me? Was downloading updates all day.
William Surmak
William Surmak

Back to top Go down

Post  sebastianf Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 pm

similar to what robot in 3 days (basically team 16) is doing with the addition of two plates on the side that close in when the ball touches a sensor, make a facebook account and ill even draw a pic for you
sebastianf
sebastianf

Back to top Go down

Post  Riley McCarthy-Robertson Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 am

I'm with Seb and Eric on this one.  Bed is going to have to be the robot but holonomic or whatever its spelling is, is the way to go.  With simplistic catching we will need to maneuver well to catch in anyway.
Riley McCarthy-Robertson
Riley McCarthy-Robertson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben_A Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 am

All,

Some great discussion going on here.

The robot in 3 days idea of using a pneumatic catapult is completely different than our puncher idea. We have not tested our puncher to determine if we can get the right amount of force and airflow to make the ram extent fast enough and with enough force to project the ball forward.

We have already made the decision to use a holonomic drive on the robot, this will assist us in throwing and catching the ball. We can reposition ourselves, (the shooter, so that we line up with the other robot that can catch.)

Now that we have decided on a drive platform we can start piecing it together. Making an accurate and repeatable shooter should be our top priority now. Ground pickup does not appear to be that difficult and catching can be added to the robot later.

- Ben

Ben_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down